Wednesday, January 22, 2014

First Impressions: "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin

So I am officially crazy for starting this giant book. On top of its lenght I am also reading it in english, which - if you don't know - is not my primary language. But I'm doing it anyway. There are certain books that I want to read in the language they were intended for, and "A Song of Ice and Fire" is one of those series. 

I am currently about 100 pages into the book, (I'm about to read form Tyrion's POV for the 2nd time) and I am loving it! 

I have to say that the prologue was really confusing, but beside that I have been able to follow along quiet well. I love how many POVs were are introduced to, my favorite characters so far is Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Eddard Stark and Dany (her name is weird, so just go with it). 

Jon - I love him because he is different. He is not like his over siblings. He is a bastard. And I felt sorry for him within the first chapter from his POV. How he got drunk and almost cried at the dinner... oh! The feels!! And then what Tyrion sad to him! I was actually this close to crying when Catelyn said "It should have been you".... OH more feels!! I can't wait to see where his road takes him... he is after all going to the wall.

Tyrion - do I have to explain? He is a dwarf, who is probably the funniest person in the freaking book. And again, what he said to Jon... oh the feels! He is so smart and I love that! 

Eddard - I just find his storyline really interesting. And he is a great character. Shouldn't have to say much more.

Dany - See this one I am confused about... I did not like her first chapter, but her second I really enjoyed... however I tend to forget that she is only 13 years old... I guess she did have to grow up pretty early...

The characters are really what drives me in the book, as well as the setting. I love how it's about sword fighting and not magic! I've gotten kinda tired of mages... (says the aspiring author who is currently outlining a story with magic as a central plot device...)

so yeah... awesome setting + awesome characters = I will read it. 

Keep Calm and Write On.

- Nanna.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen any of the TV show? The prologue will make sense as you continue to read. Daenerys is my favourite character, but I love all of the other characters you've mentioned there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the show yet, want to read the books before doing that, though I've heard that each season covers 1 book, so I might watch season 1 when I finish the first book ^-^

      Delete